返回列表 回復 發帖

[分享] [教學]短篇英語作文

[分享] [教學]短篇英語作文

1.My Career Plan【我一生的計劃】

During my high school years, I have found chemistry, physics, and mathematics interesting. Actually, I am interested in many subjects such as biology, history, geography, Chinese, and English. But somehow I cannot remember the historical events or the facts about geography in detail. I cannot remember biological terms well, either. On the other hand, chemistry, physics, and mathematics are easy for me because they seem logical to me. After considering my interests and talents I feel that science or engineering might be the best choice for my career. I would like to study science or engineering in college. After graduation from college I hope to go for higher education overseas. Eventually I would like to return to school to teach. This is my career plan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. The Humanities【人文科學】

Since I was an elementary school student, I have been doing a great deal of reading and writing. I like philosophy, politics, and science as well as fairy tales. I study history carefully, especially the history about our own people and country. It is always enjoyable to sit on the grass in an open sir place reading my books. It is quite natural and clear to me that my major in college will be one of the humanities. I imagine that a career in teaching humanities will be challenging and attractive. One day when I hold conversations with young students in classroom or any place, we will discuss a philosophy of life, ways of thinking, the idea of democracy, ideas of right and wrong, and ideas of beauty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. What you want to be when you grow up【你長大以後要做什麼?】

This question and another similar question, 'Have you decided what you will do after you finish school? , were among the most common questions people often asked me when I was a small child and then a student in school. Choosing the right career is very important. For this reason we should try to find out what our talents and interests are and how we can use them. There are many careers open to each of us. Many persons find their place in government service, and many others may de interested in going into the business world. Teaching, newspaper work, medicine, engineering, science------ these and many other fields offer fascinating careers to persons with talent and training.

4. The Working Man【做事的人】

In a complex society there are many jobs which must be done to keep the society running smoothly. There must be many kinds of factory workers, salesmen, mechanics, policemen, firemen, miners, secretaries, bookkeepers, bus drivers and many other workers. All these people are important to the comfort and safety of our everyday lives.

5.City and Country Life【都市生活與鄉村生活】

Life in the city is very different from life in the villages and on the farms. People in large cities are much more careful to respect the privacy of the individual. Sometimes this feeling seems to be one of indifference, but it is a convention of city life to curb one's curiosity about the personal affairs of strangers. Villagers and farmers are likely to show a great deal of interest in all their neighbors. Opportunities for bright young people are greater in the cities and there has been a steady stream of hopeful jobseekers from the villages and farms to the large metropolitan areas.

6.On Bravery【論勇敢】

We often do not take much notice of the people around us who on public service jobs. These people are train station workers, airline stewardess, firemen, policemen, bus drivers, taxi drivers and soldiers. Only during some accident these people are then the first ones to come to our aid and sometimes at the risk of their own lives. Recently, I saw a big fire in a ten-story apartment house where firemen worked under great danger. Luckily in this case no one was hurt. Each of us have within us the essence of bravery available on our everyday job, or just going to school, or at home. Soldiers are called to show bravery in defending their country from aggression. Sometimes during a national disaster such as an earthquake or typhoon soldiers are called to help show bravery and strength.

Taking Risks(談冒險)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Some people take the view that sometimes in life we have to take chances in order to make progress. I admire such people. It certainly takes guts to take risks. Maybe it's because of my upbringing, but I am the type who usually plays it safe.

People like me prefer the saying, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." Conservative as it may be, it keeps me out of trouble. I must confess, however, that leading such a moderate life may, at times, be boring. Admittedly, my life is not half as colorful or exciting as other people's but at least it gives me a sense of security.

不入虎穴,焉得虎子。有些人認為我們在一生之中,有時候必須冒點險以求進步。我佩服這些人。冒險的確須有勇氣才行。也許是由於我的成長背景,我是屬於那種穩紮穩打型的人。

像我這樣的人喜歡這句格言:「一鳥在手勝於兩鳥在林」。也許這種說法有些保守,但是那可使我免除麻煩。但我必須承認的是,過如此平凡的生活,有時候可能很無聊。無可諱言地,我的生活不及其他人一半的多采多姿和刺激,但是至少它使我有安全感。

7.On Cooperation【談合作】

Families specialize in their tasks by dividing the work among the different members according to what they are best qualified to do. For example,  mothers cook, children wash dishes and make beds, fathers mow the grass and paint the house. By doing the same thing again and again, and by close cooperation, a family is able to work faster and get more work done than if just one do many kinds of tasks. Similarly, it is 'cooperation' that make our complicated modern society work.

8.On Courtesy【談禮節】

If you are courteous to other people, you have good manners. Here are some ways to be courteous. Shake hands when you meet someone new. Let other people have a turn when using public facilities. If you need help or want some thing, ask politely. Be quiet when someone is sleeping. Share your tools with your friends when you are not using them. If you accidentally hurt someone, be sure to apologize. If you know how and when to say 'How do you do?’, 'Thank you', ‘please’, and ‘I'm sorry’, your everyday life will be much happier.

9. On Culture【談文化】

The way of life that a group of people builds up over a long period of time becomes the people's culture. Culture includes the people's values and beliefs as well as their technical competency. Some aspects of culture are learned in a formal setting, such as a school, while other aspects are learned informally in the process of day-to-day living. A culture is always changing. Changes in s culture often come about by borrowing form another culture and by invention. To enrich the culture of our nation, we are constantly adapting new inventions and new ideas into our way of life.

10.On Death【論死亡】

According to cycle of life all things must die. And when some one dies, those who love him weep, and mourn his death. But when we weep at the death of someone we love, or at the realization that death will soon take him away, aren't we weeping at our own loss? Do we pity him because he is going to die, or do you feel sorry for yourself because you are going to lose him?

11.Pursuing Happiness【追求快樂】

Abraham Lincoln once said, ‘Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.’ These few words express what some of us take years or even a lifetime to learn, while some of us never realize our own happiness lies within ourselves. Most people are so busy driven to pursue success, power and wealth that they mistake these materialistic values for happiness. Did you ever watch small children at play and think how happy they are?

12. On Democracy【論民主】

The word ‘democracy’ comes from two Greek words that mean ‘people’ and ‘rule.’ Democracy is a kind of government which lets people rule themselves. They rule themselves by choosing their rulers and their lawmakers. Abraham Lincoln told clearly what democracy means in his famous Gettysburg Address. He called ‘government of the people, by the people, and for the people.’

13.Democracy in Everyday Life【談平日的民主】

Boys and girls can practice the ideas of Democracy in their everyday lives. In clubs and classes they can elect their officers. They can learn to choose leaders wisely instead of just voting for their personal friends. They can practice listening to suggestions and considering them carefully, no matter who makes them. On the playground they can see that everyone has a fair chance, no matter how wealthy or poor his family may be. Boys and girls who practice democracy day by day will be better members of a democracy when they grow up to vote.

14.On Diligence【談勤勉】

Chi-Chi is the most diligent student in our class. He is one of my friends. As a matter of fact, he gets along with everyone very well. He never spends time fooling around with his classmates. He might spend just five to ten minutes talking to you once in a long while, but he talks with enthusiasm and energy, and he likes to share his thinking and ideas with you. He is honest; he does not like to waste his time and energy in pretending. He never appears sleepy and tired in the classroom. He always hands in homework on time and also does well in his examinations, yet he has time practicing skiing and his rifle skill outdoors. I admire him. I hope I can be as diligent as he is; Chi-Chi is persistent, attentive, and energetic.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Diligence and Laziness勤勉與懶惰

In general, diligence is the motive power of success. As it is, there are so many people who have been successful in their careers owing to diligence. To take Dr. Sun Yat-sen for example, he had been busy running about for the democratic revolution of China for forty years, which in the long run gave birth to the Republic of China. Compared with diligence, laziness is just opposite to it. Ten to one, failure often results from laziness. It is not too much to say that laziness is the main factor of failure.

No doubt, it pays to be diligent, but it's wrong to work and work without taking a rest. Undoubtedly, we may take some time off after hard work. We must recognize that being lazy may do good to us once in a while. Can you imagine that we take a rest for the purpose of taking a longer walk? Of course, we cannot be too diligent. On the other hand, we also shouldn't ignore the timely laziness. Because of this, we can find that diligence with proper laziness may lead to a wholesome life.

一般而言,勤勉是成功的原動力。實際上,有許多人因為勤勉而事業成功。以孫中山先生為例,他曾經為中國七民主革命奔走四十年,而最後誕生了中華民國。較之勤勉,懶惰恰好與其相反。十之八九,失敗時常起因於懶惰。懶惰是失敗的主要因素說起來並不過份。

沒錯,勤勉是值得的,但是一味工作而沒有休息是不對的。毫無疑問,辛苦工作後我們可以稍為休息。我們須承認偶爾懶散對我們是有益的。你能想像我們休息是為了赴更遠的路嗎?當然,我們愈勤勉愈好。另一方面,我們也不該忽視適時的懶散。因為如此,我們可知道適當懶散的勤勉可以導致裨益身心的人生。

15.On Human Rights【談人權】

Promoting human rights is our national goal since Dr. Sun Yat-sen founded the Republic of China in 1911. The heart of the human rights is that men are born equal that they have certain rights which cannot be taken away, and that a government is established to protect these rights The equality to which it refers means an equality given all men – an equal claim to the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These rights cannot be given a away. These rights cannot be taken away by a government to protect these rights.

16.On Punctuality【論守時】

One of the most important social graces in the American society is punctuality which means arriving on time. Most people consider it discourteous for a person to arrive at an appointment later than the time agreed on. Also, for most social engagements, especially those in a private home, it often causes inconvenience for a guest to come either earlier or later than the suggested hour.

17.On Solitude【談孤獨】

I find it wholesome to be alone the greater part of the time. Being in company, even with the best, is soon wearisome and dissipating. I love to be alone. I have never found a companion that was as friendly as solitude. We are for the most part lonelier when we go abroad among men than when we stay in our homes. A man thinking or working is always alone. Solitude is not measured by the miles of space that intervene between a man and his fellow men. I have found that no exertion of the legs can bring two minds much nearer to one another.

18. Education Today【今日的教育】

There is the feeing that education today should be practical as well as theoretical. For this reason, there are many courses which teach a student how to do things: how to make a dress, how to prepare a meal, how to use a computer or a calculator, how to draw plans for a house. Even in the more theoretical courses the teachers are constantly training their students to look for the practical applications of what they are learning.

19. On Perseverance【談毅力】

There are lots of examples about a person's Perseverance bringing about changes in history. Or new discoveries in cures for some human Diseases The well-known history of the Revolution in 1911 is a good example through a hard struggle with many failures for almost three decades, Dr. Sun Yat-sen with his people free themselves from a corruptive government of the last dynasty likewise if one wants to succeed in pursuing his serious goal in his life, perseverance is always the necessary characteristic he should learn to have.

20.Studying Hard【用功】

In recent years more and more and more students have been attending colleges and universities, and more students have been continuing their education beyond the four years required to earn a bachelor's degree. Some professions require many years of specialized training. Especially in technical and scientific fields, so much new information is being added to our present knowledge that people in technical fields must study constantly to keep up with new developments.

21.A Disturbing Age【困擾的年紀】

When I was in middle school some of my classmates were smoking cigarettes. These classmates were both boys and girls. Another problem was the tendency toward vandalism and theft. Although only a very few persons were involved in these situations. I often felt uneasy and unsure about their actions. We have been taught to strive to be good citizens and cultivate good character, but at such a young age it is disturbing. Many adults smoke, yet young people today should worry about the possibility of cancer. Also people should know crime is bad and not rewarding, yet my classmates feel pressure from our society to cultivate another image. Perhaps now is the time both parents and teachers should spend more time talking to teenagers about the problems they are facing.

22. The Generation Gap【代溝】

(1)Today's teenager is a young adult; he is more mature and responsible than the teenagers of previous generations. Nevertheless, he is beset with customary trials natural to his age group-disconcerting periods of self-doubt and other periods of self-sufficiency. His character and personality are in the process of being molded. It is a stage when he is not quite sure he wants to be on his own, yet he resents too much parental pressure. This attitude and feeling is called the generation gap or the communication gap. However, this attitude and feeling will change as he learns how to live with the world, especially with his parents, brothers, sisters, and teachers.

(2)(敘述者是位父親,他以過來人的經驗來說明代溝)

I remember that when I was in my teens, I used to refuse to obey many of the "do's" and "don'ts" my parents dictated to me. For example, when I kept on playing jazz records on the stereo, my father would condemn such music as sheer noise and replaced them with disks of classical music that I always considered extremely dull. When I insisted that I sleep with my pet dog, they immediately said, "No way," because they thought I would be bitten by fleas. These were just a few examples of the things I thought my parents were unreasonable about.

Today, however, I am a father of a boy aged 15, and I find that I too, am pressuring my son with a lot of rules and regulations hard for him to "swallow". It's not uncommon to hear my yelling at him, "What do you mean by fooling around all night without reviewing your lessons?" or "How come you did it? You are still wet behind the ears." The other day, I noticed that my son wore giant pants that three teen-agers could occupy. No one would wear them on the grounds that they were indecent and undignified. I at once commanded him to take them off. Usually, he is fairly obedient, but this time he put his foot down. "What's wrong with giant pants? All my classmates wear them, and I don't think you have the authority to order me to remove them, even though you are my father!" said he. When I was a boy, if I had spoken with such rudeness to my elders, I would have been given a good beating. But I suddenly realized that we are now living in a more liberal society, and that my son's insistence on wearing giant pants was merely an instance of the generation gap that existed between us. Therefore, I gave in and now he still wears giant pants.

23.Going to the Doctor's【上醫院】

Some people are lucky enough never to be sick, but most of us have to go to  see a doctor occasionally for examination and treatment. Doctors encourage people to have complete physical examinations regularly and not to wait until illnesses have become serious before having them treated. Everybody believes that 'An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,'  but not everybody follows this advice.

24.Good Health【健康】

There is nothing complicated about eating a proper diet. For good health, eat a variety of foods. Do not eat the same foods day after day! Foods should be selected everyday from each of 'basic four.' They are the four groups of food essential to proper nutrition: the milk group, meat group, vegetable-fruit group, and bread-cereal group, Your body will then be supplied with all the nutrients it requires; they are water, minerals, carbohydrate, fats and oils, proteins, and vitamins. A person's diet is determined by his attitudes, likes and dislikes. If you eat foods from each of the basic four groups each day, you will have a balanced diet.

25.On Personal Hygiene【談個人衛生】

There are things that you can do to keep your self healthy. For example, brush your teeth well, so your gums will be healthy and you may not get any cavity in your teeth; wash yourself regularly, so your skin will feel more comfortable and you will not get skin diseases so easy; wear clean clothes and shoes; do not eat food which is not clean; keep your house dry and clean, and free from flies, cockroaches, and ; mosquitoes; let your house get enough sunlight and fresh air. All these are part of your personal hygiene. Even with this minimum level of hygiene you will reduce disease more effectively than a group of doctors.

26.Are Human Beings Alike ?【人都是相像的嗎?】

Although the basic structure of the human body is the same for all people, there are many individual differences. You are well aware of the differences in the size and shape of people's head, neck, legs, arms, eyes, ears, and nose. Because of these differences, you can tell one person from another. The internal body parts of people also differ! Internal features vary from person to person just as the external features vary. For example, the structure of the lungs of most people is basically the same, but lungs vary in shape, size, and weight from person to person.

27. Living Within Your Means【量力而為】

It is never a disgrace to say, ‘I can not afford it.’ It is shameful to commit yourself to expenditure you know you can not really afford and should not make – just because someone else urges you to go against your own better judgment. I have respect for the person for who can say without any self-consciousness at all, simply and cheerfully, ‘I can not afford it.’ But I hate to hear a long-drawn-out explanation of why . As a matter of fact, we should never demand to know why a person can not spend money on something he says he can not afford unless there is s sound reason for his finding some way to afford it. Then you may, if you feel you should, try to show him that way, quietly and without irritating him.

28.The Effects of the Movies【電影的效果】

Have you ever wondered how motion pictures affect you? Research studies show that movies do affect you, for good or ill, in quite different ways. Motion pictures give you information and add it to your store of knowledge. The films you see influence your ideas of right and wrong more than you may realize. When you see pictures presenting certain kinds of people or certain ideas in either a favorable or an unfavorable light, you tend to develop a similar feeling toward them. Motion pictures may also affect your emotions. When you go to the movies, your emotions are stimulated. This is part of the motion picture magic. Film fashions in conduct, speech, and appearance do affect you. So let the things you learn be suited to your own way of living.

29.On Optimism and Pessimism【談樂觀與悲觀】

There are two types of people in the world. Although they have equal degrees of health and wealth and the other comforts of life, one becomes happy, the other becomes miserable. This arises from the different ways in which they consider things,  persons, and events, and the resulting effects upon their minds. One is said to be optimistic and the other pessimistic about everything around them. People who are to be happy fix their attention on the conveniences of things, the pleasant parts of conversation,  the well-prepared dishes, the fine weather. They enjoy all the cheerful things. Those who are to be unhappy think and speak only of the contrary things. Therefore, they are continually discontented themselves. By their remarks, they sour the pleasures of society, offend many people, and make themselves disagreeable everywhere.

30.Similaity and difference【相似點與相異點】

Two persons may have quite similar qualities. On the other hand, it is also true to say that everybody in the world is different from everybody else because they are not exactly the same. No two people, anywhere, are exactly alike and no two people share exactly the same likes and dislikes. Each has his strong and weak points. In order to live fully and happily, each of us needs to fortify his good points and overcome his poor ones.

31.Mature Attitudes toward Sex【對性的成熟態度】

Most of us have found, some with difficulty, that our sexual feelings contribute beautifully and significantly to our lives if we treat them with respect and if we keep them in reasonable control. We hurt ourselves and others when we treat these feelings scornfully or express them without consideration of others. Briefly, if we treat our own sexual feelings with both respect and control, our lives will be reasonably satisfactory with respect to love and sex. Furthermore, we can more easily teach our children sexual expression with responsibility.

32.Sex Education Begins at Home【性教育始自家庭】

My name is Mee-Mee. I am eighteen years old and the eldest of the family. Starting back in preschool years, I have been learning a lot about sex from my parents. They try to answer all questions in a natural manner. They initiate discussion as the opportunity arises. They respect my feelings and provide personal guidance. They use correct terms when explaining physiology. They use pictures, books, etc. to supplement verbal explanations. Their healthy attitudes towards sex as well as their factual answers about sex help me to grow in many ways: to accept myself and my  gender role, to develop a sense of self-confidence, to be able to cope with one's sexual desires and feelings, and to establish a positive and healthy relationship with members of the opposite sex. To summarize, sex education is an integral part of child raising.

33.On Sex and Love【性與愛】

Sexual impulses can and should be controlled. Sex is the most intimate expression of a loving relationship which must involve mutual caring and responsibility. Love is helping, caring, and becoming responsible for each other. Also, love is understanding and respecting each other. In summary, we should discern between sex and love and learn how to cope with sexual stress.

34.Social Customs and Behavior【社會習俗與行為】

Social customs and ways of behaving change. Things which were considered impolite many years ago are now acceptable. To see a woman smoking in public today is not surprising, nor is it always ‘ladies first’ through doors, or on a crowded bus or train need the man give his seat to a woman. Customs also differ from country to country. The important thing to remember about social customs is not to do anything that might make other people feel uncomfortable, especially if they are your guests.

35. Camping【露營】

Living close to the outdoors is fun, especially for city people. Most people who go camping want to be entirely on their own. Some want to fish or to hunt. Some want to hike, ride horseback, swim, or go canoeing. The question of where to go is the first priority. A good rule about clothing is that it should be comfortable and not easily torn. Food should be the kinds that will not spoil easily. A good camper always carries a compass and no camper should be without a first-aid kit. Many new inventions make camping easier. There are boats that are very light in weight. There are tents that can be opened up like umbrellas, mattresses that can be blown up like balloons, and sleeping bags that make blankets unnecessary.

36.Music Appreciation【音樂欣賞】

What is your favorite kind of music? Do you like jazz, popular music, classical music, folk songs, blues, and so on? In high school I took one course called music appreciation which I greatly enjoyed. This was not to learn how to play a specific instrument but to learn how to read and listen to music as an art form. We read the stories about the lives of many composers and the history of the musical instruments themselves. Sometimes we listened to tapes at the language laboratory, or concerts. Music is sometimes called a universal language. A composer who cannot speak a single word of our language can make us feel joy and pride, exaltation and despair, peace and mystery through his music.

-------------------------------------------------------

Singing Contributes to a Joyful Mind(歌唱帶來歡樂)

Of all the things that make me happy, singing is what I like to do best. I sing for no particular purpose. In short, I sing for fun. There is no limit to what I sing, so long as it can let out my emotion and pass the pleasant voice to others. It is something more satisfactory and exciting to draw echoes from them. It is nothing bad to spread joy around, is it? As you can tell, singing is my second life.

在所有使我快樂的事中,唱歌是我最喜歡做的一件事。我唱歌不是為特別的目的。簡言之,我為快樂萬唱。我唱什麼歌並無限制,只要它能發洩我的情緒,稺快樂的聲音傳給周遭的人就好了。能夠引起他們的共鳴更是一件令人滿意、興奮的事。把歡樂散佈四方不是件壞事,是嗎?你可以看出,唱歌是我的第二生命。

37. On Safety【談安全】

Accidents are today's most frequent killers so far as children are concerned. And accidents cripple a great many children that are not killed. Accidents occur to children in all sorts of places at home, on the street, at school, on public playgrounds, at places to swim, and on camping trips. There are now many more chances for accidents than there used to be. Automobiles, power tools, electric wiring, and easy ways of starting fire have brought new dangers. Most accidents are caused by carelessness. A great deal of effort has been done to make work in mills and factories safer. Safety is everyone's business.

38.Obeying the Traffic Laws【遵守交通規則】

I am often very afraid to cross large wide streets. I always go to the traffic light and use the crosswalk, but many times I have been frightened. When the light changes to green, I still need to look both directions to check the traffic On many occasions a speeding motorcycle or bicycle or once a truck drove past the red light and across the pedestrian's When I have my bicycle, I get off and walk across the street, but always someone crosses the red light. Once at the intersection near National Taiwan University I saw an accident: a taxi had stopped for the light, and another truck came from behind and did not stop. For safety, it is very important for everyone to obey the traffic laws.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Traffic in Taiwan(台灣的交通)

The traffic in Taiwan has been in great disorder in recent years. As we can see, the increasing number of automobiles jam the streets and the exhaust fumes they give off choke drivers and pedestrians. During the rush hour, streets turn into a battlefield and motorcyclists, drivers and pedestrians are all drawn into this "bloody" war without exception. No wonder Taiwan has been rated in many international magazines among the least places in the world.

To improve the traffic condition, we must carry out the following points thoroughly. To begin with, the government and the authorities concerned should set up strict laws to punish those who violate the laws and make sure to enforce them firmly. Second, people should be educated to be law-abiding, since it's one of their obligations as citizens. Thus, the traffic in Taiwan can only be made better. Traffic safety is everybody's business and we should do our best to make the roads in Taiwan cleaner, safer, and speedier!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Traffic Safety(交通安全)

Traffic safety is everybody's business. Records show that every year a lot of people die in traffic accidents. Some of the accidents are due to mechanical problems. However, most of them are the results of careless and reckless driving, and could be avoided. A lot of people disregard traffic signals and rules. They drive regardless of speed limits, run through red lights, drive in the wrong direction, talk and laugh while driving, and turn as they wish without giving signals. They don't slow down while approaching crossroads. So many people violate traffic regulations that we cannot put too much emphasis on the importance of traffic safety. Only when everybody thinks traffic safety is everybody's business can we be safe driving on roads and walking on sidewalks.
交通安全人人有責。紀錄顯示每年有許多人死於車禍。有些車禍是由於機械問題。然而大部分車禍都是疏忽而鹵莽駕駛的結果,並且可以避免的。許多人無視於交通號誌和規則。他們駕駛時不管車速、闖紅燈、逆向行駛、開車時交談,並且不打燈號就任意轉彎。他們接近十字路口時不減速。如此多的人違犯交通規則以致於我們再怎麼樣強調交通安全的重要性也不為過。唯有當每個人皆認為交通安全是眾人的事時,我們在路上開車、在行人道上走路才安全。

39. Water pollution【水源污染】

Water is used in homes, in farming, and in manufacturing. The water used by the people comes from oceans, lakes, rivers, and streams. Many water sources are becoming polluted. People are throwing things into the water. Factories are dumping waste materials into the water. Cities are dumping sewage into the water. Some water sources have become so badly polluted that the water cannot be made fit to use. Would you like to drink water that came from a source that had been so badly mistreated? Now is the time that we should take up our responsibility to protect our environment from being polluted.

40. A Youth and His Country【青年和國家】

The youth of today will help to shape the future f his country tomorrow. As a good citizen, he should prepare himself in his every day life as well as in school for the contribution of his talent to his country. He should have an ability or a skill to work. He should keep well informed and help to inform others about what his country's problems are. He should try to find out and show what he can do for his country. Also he should be physically strong and mentally sound. As a responsible citizen, with his courage, enthusiasm, and love, he will help to make his country one of which all its citizens can be proud.

(A) A Prayer For Peace And Harmony【為世界和平與和諧而祈禱】

Dear God, it is said that you are high above in heaven watching us. It is said that you are the Lord, the Supermen Being, and things happen at your will. If these are true, please tell me is it you who has allowed wars and holocausts to happen to us--your children? I think you will agree with me that most fighting have resulted from misunderstanding. Then, why don't you try a little harder to make people wiser so that misunderstanding can be avoided. We are foolish and sometimes don't know what we are doing. Such foolishness has proved to be terribly destructive. We are tired of all the fighting which we can't stop. Please show us your mercy, please teach us what love is and encourage us to love and forgive. Dear God, you know what we are longing for, and you are the only one who can guide us to peace and harmony. So please help.

(B) Mr. Chang Is The Best Teacher That I Have Ever Had 【張老師是我一生中最好的教師】(共四篇)

(1)Mr. Chang is the best teacher that I have ever had. He was our English teacher. He taught us only for a year, but in that year I learned more than I ever had before. I had never thought English interesting. In fact, I had always hated it. Mr. Chang made us read any reading material available in English. Because he was willing to incorporate materials more interesting than the textbooks for the English class, I was able to get over my aversion for English. Although I am not good at English yet, I enjoy studying it.

(2)Mr. Chang was a white-haired, kind, old man. He was my English teacher when I was in middle school. He gave me  love and care which I wasn't able to receive from my parents. In fact, he treated me like his own daughter. Besides, he gave me extra classes every summer. He cultivated my interest in English and encouraged me to study it hard. He is the best teacher that I have ever had. Now he is living a retired  life in Hualien. Yet,  his love is always with me.

(3)Mr. Chang, my English teacher, is the best teacher that I have ever had. He is an American of German ancestry. I am learning English from him. At first I thought it must be very difficult to learn English. After a few classed with Mr. Chang, I found that learning English was a lot of fun. Mr. Chang keeps telling our class, "If you want to learn English well, you must write, read and speak it every day." We take his advice and find it very useful. He also recommends to us a lot of interesting outside readings which greatly increase our interest in English. Besides, he always wears a smile and never gets angry in class. He is a real good teacher.

(4)Mr. Chang was my junior high mathematics teacher. He had great patience and a loving heart. Every time we did not understand what he said, he would repeat it for us. Never did he get impatient. We all loved him. One time, one of my classmates was sick and had to be treated in hospital. His family was too poor to pay the hospital bill. Our class raised money to help him. Yet the sum raised was not enough to cover the expenses. As soon as Mr. Chang heard about that, he offered to make it up. We admired him for his kindness and generosity. He is the best teacher I have ever had.

(C) My Biggest Problem in High School【我在中學時的最大難題】(共三篇)

(1)The first year I was in high school commutation was my biggest problem. I lived at a relative's at a suburb of Taipei, yet my school was in the city. Every morning I got up early to get prepared to go to school. Then I walked to a local bus stop. It took me about thirty minutes. There I took a private-owned bus. Once in the city I transferred to the city transit. By the time I arrived at school, the first class had already begun. In winter, it was still dark, I was always afraid and felt lonely. The travel back home in the evening was as great a challenge. The following year I rented a room near school with one of my classmates, and put an end to the daily ordeal.

(2)My biggest problem in high school is that I can not swim. In fact, I can not even float. Every time I get into the water, I lose control of my limbs and sink straight to the bottom of the pond. Unfortunately, swimming is a required course in my school. It seems that everybody except me in the school takes a great deal to swimming classed. In a class, I can do nothing but sit on the edge of the pool, dip my legs into the water, and get bored. How I envy those who dare to take a plunge into the water and are able to swim back and forth with ease.

(3)My biggest problem in high school is that I don't have any friends. You may think that it is my own fault. You are partly right. I am very shy and sensitive. Nevertheless, I do realize that without friends one won't be happy, especially in school. Also I have tried my best to make friends by being nice to my schoolmates. You probably think that my efforts have borne fruit. You are mistaken. I am still as lonely as a ghost.

(D) If I Were........【如果我是‧‧‧】(共三篇)

(1)If I were a wizard, I would marry a witch. Surely she must have a broomstick as every witch does. It would give her good looks and enable her to travel to wherever she had a heart to. In fact, with the broomstick she could do almost anything. What a capable wife she would make me! Nevertheless, as my wife, she must obey me. I would tell her to cook, sweep and deliver messages for me. In short, with such a witch as wife, I would live as comfortably as a king. If I were a wizard, I would be able to get 600 points in the Joint College Entrance Examination. Just image, 600 points! An ordinary human being could never achieve that. My schoolmates would regard me as a genius. Reporters would crowd about me, inquiring how did I do it. With a smile I would answer, "Nothing special!"

(2)If I were a scientist, I would work for the welfare of mankind. First, I would devise something to defend human beings against nuclear weapons, for such weapons threaten to wipe out life on earth. Then I would work for the improvement of the quality of human existence. For instance, I would build robots to serve mankind. In short, if I were a scientist, I would put my knowledge and skill to good use to help bring about peace and prosperity.

(3)If I were a college student, I would study much harder than I did in high school. As you know, under the present educational system, a high school student, if he desires to go to college, has to study very hard to pass the college entrance examination. Once they enter college, most students become relaxed and do nothing better than have a good time. As it is, the government is wasting money on our higher education. If I were a college student, I would make the best of my opportunity to increase knowledge so that when I finish college I would be able to serve my people and my country.

(E) A Visit To ......【一趟旅程去‧‧‧】(共三篇)

(1)One of our classmates came across a small orphanage by chance; she told us what she saw and, interested, we planned to pay it a visit. On a fine Sunday morning, we set off for the orphanage with some cakes and children's books. When we arrived at the orphanage, we saw many children playing happily. Apparently, they were too small to be distressed by the misfortune that had befallen them. We tried to make friends with them by joining in their games. In a little while we became good friends and enjoyed a marvelous time together. If people are willing to show a little kindness, I am sure the world will be a much nicer place to live in.

(2)I had been planning to visit Taipei for a long time. Last summer I finally got the opportunity to see Taipei--I was there for a whole week. It was quite a surprise to find so many cars jamming the streets. And skyscrapers towering on either side of the street turned it into a canyon. People in Taipei seemed to be constantly racing against time. Everything there seemed to  move faster. During my stay in Taipei, I had the impression that it was a fast-growing city, that it became more and more sophisticated with each passing day.

(3)Some days ago I paid a visit to my best friend, a middle school classmate whom I hadn't seen for a long time. Since this get-together did not happen every day, we had a long and hearty chat about everything; not only things in our daily life, but also what had happened in the world. My friend's mother died when she was fourteen. As she was the oldest child in the family, she had to take up the responsibilities her mother left behind. This cost her the opportunity for further education. In comparison with her, I am lucky and fortunate. I certainly must work hard so as not to despoil my good fortune.

(F) Advertisements(廣告)

Advertisements can be seen everywhere in modern society. They appear on the TV screen. They occupy a conspicuous place in newspapers and magazines. They are displayed or painted on walls and even on buses. Indeed, it is difficult nowadays to find a public place without advertisements.

It is true that in economic activities advertisements play an important role. They tell people about new products and help promote sales. Unfortunately some of the advertisements are not true. They cheat consumers one way or another. So, admitting that advertisements can help us, we should also beware of them from time to time.

在現代社會中,廣告隨處可見,它們出現在電視螢光幕上,在報紙和雜誌上也佔有顯著地位。它們展示或畫在牆上,甚至在公車上。說實在的,今天在公共場所,很難沒有廣告。

廣告在經濟活動中,確實扮演了重要角色。它們告訴大眾新產品,並且有助銷售。不幸的是,有些廣告不誠實,它們千方百計欺騙消費者,因此,我們固然承認廣告能幫助我們,但我們也要時常對它們小心。

(G) No Secondhand Smoke(拒抽二手煙)

It is very uncomfortable to inhale the smoke of a cigarette smoker. I know this for a fact, since my father smokes a lot. When we are together in a a room, the smoke he exhales fills my lungs and also makes my eyes water.

If possible, smoking in public should be banned altogether, because it is unfair for non-smokers to go through the ordeal of breathing smoke-filled air. so it is very inconsiderate of people to smoke in front of others. In airplanes, people who smoke are separated from passengers who don't. For the sake of everybody's health, I think this should be done in other public places too.

吸入抽煙者所吐出的煙是件很不舒服的事。這一點我很清楚,因為我爸爸煙抽得很兇。當我們同處一個房間時,他吐出的煙充滿了我的肺,也嗆得我兩眼流淚。

如果可能,公共場所應該全面禁煙,因為對不抽煙的人而言,要他們經歷吸入充滿煙味的空氣,這種折磨是不公平的。因此,在他人面前抽煙是非常不體恤他人的。在飛機上,抽煙和不抽煙的乘客是分開坐的。為了每個人健康,我認為其他公共場所也應該這樣做。

(H) Nickname(綽號)

My nickname is Snoopy. It was given to me by my classmates. My English name is Ruby and due to my busy schedule. I was often arriving a few minutes late for school and appointments. People usually blamed me for my lateness and called me 死 Ruby, a common use of 死 in Chinese describing someone who does things wrong. The pronunciation of 死 Ruby sounded very close to "Snoopy", the cartoon dog, so the nickname soon became popular.

(I) Friends(朋友)

People judge us by the company we keep. Therefore, we must be very careful about who we choose for friends. We must not be too hasty in making friends. Friendships made quickly are usually broken off just as quickly. True friendships need time to mature.

A good friend stays with you in good times and bad. Some people are quick to join you for fun, but then avoid you if you're in trouble. A true friend does not. Of course, to have good friends you must first be a good and sincere friend to others.

(J) 面對困難(說明你面對困難的態度)

Whenever I am in trouble, I never feel discouraged. It is my creed that he who shrinks when he has any trouble is a coward.
Once I am confronted with any difficulty, I may try every means possible to get over it. If I can't find out any proper means at the moment, I will leave it alone for a period of time. Next time when I think it over, I will find the problem easier to solve. Keep calm and consult others, and I will not be bothered by any trouble.

(K) The Man I Respect Most(我最尊敬的人)

My father is the man I respect most. Stern as he may be, he never fails to show his care and consideration. Once I broke a neighbor's window. Seeing nobody around, I ran away immediately. When Dad came home, he noticed my uneasiness and asked me what had happened.
I could only tell him the truth. Rather than scold me, he praised my honesty and then encouraged me to apologize to our neighbor. I learned from this episode that not only does Dad take care of our health but he also teaches us how to be good citizens. How lucky I am to have such a good father!
我父親是我最尊敬的人。雖然他可能嚴厲了一點,但他無時無刻不表現出他的關心和體貼。有一次我打破鄰居窗戶的玻璃。因為看到附近沒有人在塲,我立刻就跑掉。當父親回家時,他注意到我的不安,因而詢問我發生了什麼事。
我只好告訴他實話。他不但沒責罵我,反而稱讚我的誠實,並鼓勵我向鄰居道歉。從這件事我就瞭解到,父親不僅照顧我們的健康,他也教導我們如何成為好公民。我有這樣一位好父親真是太幸運了!

(L) On a Crowded Bus(擠公車)

I am a senior high student who has to commute from home to school every day. It is always an ordeal for me to try to get on a crowded bus. I am often squeezed so hard that I can't breathe.
Once I felt someone pushing me very hard, and then he touched my rear. I couldn't turn around to see who did it because I was sandwiched between two tall men. I was so angry that when the bus arrived at my school, I clenched my fists and elbowed my way through the crowd and got off. Then, to my dismay, I found that my purse had been stolen from my school bag.
我是一位每天必須通學的高中生。對我來說,要擠上公車總是一種很痛苦的考驗。我常常被擠得喘不過氣來。
我一次我覺得有人一直在擠我,然後他摸我屁股。我無法轉遛去看是誰做的,因為我被夾在兩名長人中間。在公車到達學校時,我氣得緊握拳頭從人群中擠下車。然後,令我驚慌的是,我發現書包的錢包被偷走了。

M. My Views On Democracy(我對民主的看法)

In my opinion, democracy is not only a political system but also a way of life. People living in a democratic country should know the art of give-and-take. They protect their rights, but also fulfill their responsibility. And it is my belief that a government of the people and for the people can take root only in the country where people have much concern for others. In a democracy, different opinions are tolerated and respected no matter who comes to power. In addition, everyone is equal before the law regardless of his birthplace, religion, creed and social class. A democratic system guarantees freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and freedom of association. Most important of all, in a democracy, the odds are in  favor of those who are willing and determined to come to the top.

依我之見,民主不僅是一種政治制度,也是一種生活方式。生活在民主國家的人應該知道施與受的藝術。他們保護他們的權利,也盡他們的義務。而我相信唯有在一個人們很關心他人的國家中,民有、民治、民享的政府才能生根。在民主國家裡,不管誰執政,不同的意見都受容忍與尊重。而且不論其籍貫、宗教、信念和社會階級,法律之前人人平等。民主制度保障言論自由、新聞自由和結社自由。最重要的是,在民主國家中,形勢有利於那些願意並決心要出人頭地的人。

N. Keeping Pleasant(保持愉快)

In these grim times, weighed down with tension and pressure from the realities of life, many people have lost their sense of humor. They tend to keep a straight face all day long and fail to keep life in perspective. They forget how to smile and finally become physical and mental wrecks. They regard life as a burden, and tend to look on the dark side of things.
Well goes a saying, "Laugh, and grow fat." Laughter releases tension, and smiling helps create a pleasant social atmosphere. And, thus, in a way, a sense of humor is an elixir that helps cure mental diseases. Some patients even improve their physical and mental health by reading humorous stories or watching funny movies. This proves that a sense of humor helps us look at the world in a true and healthy light and makes our life worth living.
在這個冷酷的年代,由於飽受來自生活現實的緊張和壓力,許多人已失去幽默感。他們終日拉長著臉,且無法以正確的眼光觀照人生。他們忘了怎麼去笑,而最後,成為行屍走肉的軀殼。他們將人生視為一種負擔,並傾向於看到事情的黑暗面。
有一句俗話說得好,「心寬體胖」。笑解除緊張,而微笑幫助創造一個愉快的社交氣氛。而因也,就某方面而言,幽默感是幫助治療心理疾病的萬靈丹。有些病人至藉著閱讀幽默故事或看滑稽電影而改善身心健康。這證明了幽默感幫助我們以正確而健康的觀點這個世界,並使我們的人生值得一活。

O. Should We Learn History?(我們應該學歷史嗎?)

History plays a very important role in the development of civilization. From it, we learn how our fathers fought hostile nature, unfriendly surroundings and wild animals to build a more comfortable dwelling place for their children and their grandchildren. Through their efforts and sacrifices, human civilization was created and man became lord of creation. Their daring spirit has inspired human beings of various ages to make further contribution to their fellow men.
Through history learning, it dawns on us that our short life span is actually the continuation of a life. It began with the dawn of history and is certain to join the flow of a life which is yet to come. Thus, we come to the awareness that life is not a dream, but a real existence and worth living. With this in mind, we will be more determined to make history, to spare no pains for the good of our posterity.
歷史在文明的發展中佔了一個很重要的地位。從其中,我們學到我們的祖先如何對抗充滿敵意的大自然、不友善的環境和野生動物,以為其孩子和孫子輩建立一個更舒適的居所。透過他們的努力與犧牲,人類文明得以創造,而人類也成為萬物之靈。他們英勇的精神已激勵了不同時代的人類去為他們的同胞做更大的貢獻。
透過歷史的學習,我們了解到,我們短暫的壽限實際上是一個生命的延續。它隨著草昧時代開始,而必定會和未來的生命之流匯合。因此,我們明瞭,生命不是一場夢,而是真實的存在,並值得一活。心中存此念,我們將會更堅決地去創造歷史,為我們後代的利益而不遺餘力。

P. Ban on Smoking(禁止抽煙)

Smoking has proved to be closely linked to many of the most fatal diseases such as cancer, heart problems, and lung diseases. Doctors also warn us of nicotine, tar, and many other toxic substances contained in cigarettes. We are even informed that cigarette smoking may gravely jeopardize not only the smokers, but also the non-smokers. Statistics show that smoking takes the lives of millions of people in the world every year. All these lead us to believe that smoking does kill. Through educating himself and strengthening his own will power, every individual should resist the temptation of cigarettes. Society as a whole ought to enhance health awareness. Health institutions are supposed to shoulder the responsibility of informing the public of the above-mentioned facts. It's time for all governments in the world to seriously consider alternatives to the tobacco industry as a profit-making undertaking. After all, health, the most solid essence of life, must always be given top priority.
抽煙已證實和許多最致命的疾病,如癌症、心臟疾病及肺病有緊密的關聯。醫生也警告我們,香煙含有尼古丁、焦油以及許多其他有毒的物質。我們甚至得知抽煙不僅危害抽煙者,也同樣危害非抽蠌者。統計數字顯示,抽煙每年在全世界奪去了數百萬人的生命。這一切都令我們相信抽煙會使人喪命。每一位個人應該透過自我我教育及強化自己的意志力,來抗拒香煙的誘惑。社會整體應該加強健康意識;衛生機構必負起責任,教育大眾有關以上種種事實。現在該是全世界的政府認真考慮煙草營利事業之替代方案的時機了。畢竟,健康-----生命中最紮實的內涵-----是該永遠優先考慮。

Q. Home ~~~A Joy Forever( 家~永恆的喜悦 )

Home means a lot to me. “Be it ever so humble, there is no place like home.” I appreciate the warmth of my home, and regard it as one of the brightest and dearest spots on earth. It is the place where I can take refuge whenever I meet with difficulties, failures and even frustrations in my daily life. At home, my dear parents and brothers and sisters will comfort me and cheer me up. And with their concern and encouragement, I will regain my self-confidence and muster up all my strength and courage to face the stern realities of life. To me, home is forever a joy where I can always find love, understanding, care and help.
家對我意義重大。「不管家是多麼簡陃,家是世界上最好的地方。」我珍視家庭溫暖,並且認為家是世界上最光輝的地方之一。每當我在日常生活中遭遇到困難、失敗甚至挫折時,家就是我尋求庇護之所。在家中,我親愛的父母和兄弟姉妹會安慰我、鼓勵我。而有了他們的關心與鼓舞,我將恢復自信,並能鼓能我的所有的力量和勇氣,來面對嚴酷的生活現實。對我而言,家永遠是一種喜悅,我總是可以在其中找到愛、了解、關懷與幫助。

R. Learn Constantly (不斷學習)

Learning intelligibly is one of the characteristics that distinguish humans from other animals. In other words, learning spontaneously is one of man's unique traits. Throughout the history, human have even learned acculturation, handing down their cultural heritages from generation to generation. Therefore, we can conclude that all forms of learning, inclusive of the acquisition of skill, the shaping of views, the absorption of knowledge, take a very essential part in the course of human civilization.
        Once learning stops, vegetation arises. To each of us, the process of learning may be full of frustrations and boredom, yet the fruit is often sweet and satisfactory. In terms of learning, I am convinced that it's better late than never. In this knowledge explosion era, in particular, no one should withstand the trend and concept of "lifelong learning." The more efforts we make to learn, the more we can keep life, nature and the universe in perspective. Learning is the surest way to eternal joy.
有知覺的學習是區別人類和其他動物的特徵之一;換言之,自動自發的學習是人類的獨特性質之一。在整個歷史過程中,人類甚至學會了文化的傳承~~~將文化遺產代代相傳。因此,我們獲致的結論是:所有型態的學習,包括技巧的習得、觀念的形成,以及知識的吸收,在人類文明的過程中都佔有必要的地位。
一旦學習終止,貧乏單調隨之產生。對我們每個人而言,學習的過程也許充滿挫折和困乏,然而果實經常是甜蜜而令人滿足的。就學習觀點而言,我深信「寧遲勿缺」。尤其在這個知識爆炸的年代,任何人都不應該抗拒「終生學習」的趨勢和觀念。我們愈努力學習,就愈能通盤地了解人生、大自然以及宇宙。學習是通往恆久喜悅最穩當的一條路。

S. A Description of My Hometown (家鄉素描)

Wherever I am, I find it hard to resist the tempting call of my hometown. Situated at the north-western tip of Xin-zhu County, bordering Tao-yuan County with a small winding stream is my old hometown, the humble and bleak fishing and farming village. The residents there used to make their living by fishing in their boats on the nearest waters of the Taiwan Strait. Later, those boats were heavily outrun by modern ships. Since then, life has never been easy for the villagers, as they have to live off the tiny pieces of land. I often feel that they are peasants rather than farmers. The village is famed for its windy weather, bad for farming but good for the strengthening of character. I can still recall how those salty winds howled all the way through my childhood. But as I now look back upon those tough days and drab rural lives, I feel blessed; I seem to have gone through the ordeal and am capable of facing any hardships. As I am growing older, in my heart, my hometown has become the symbol of the deepest nostalgia and stood for an everlasting affection. I, in turn, can always seek solace through visualizing my lovely hometown.

無論我身在何處,總覺得很難抗拒故鄉誘人的呼喚。樸實而顯荒涼的故鄉,位於新竹縣西北隅,僅以一蜿蜒小溪與桃園縣接壤,是一農漁兼具的村莊。居民過去在台灣海峽近海水域,以小船捕魚維生,稍後,小船遠不敵現代化船舶。從此,大多數村民的生活,就不曾安逸,因為他們必須依賴小小農地過活。我常覺得他們是小農,而非一般的農夫。村子以多風聞名,刮風的天氣,對農耕不利,卻有益於強化性格,我仍舊清晰地記得,童年時期鹹鹹的風總是吹個不停。可是當我現在回顧那段艱苦的日子和沈悶的鄉野生活,反倒覺得很有福氣;似乎覺得已經通過了嚴厲的試煉,而現在任何苦難都能面對。年紀漸長,心裡覺得故鄉已經象徵最深沈的鄉愁,也代表永恒的依戀,而我只能藉著慕想故鄉的影像以尋求慰藉。

T. Making Decision (做決定)

Growing up means making my own decisions. When I was little, I left every tough decision for my parents or elder brothers and sisters. With time going by, I came to realize that they could not always stand by me; I had to learn to be completely on my own. Then I took every chance to exercise my wit and judgement. I have both succeeded and failed, but I now learn that it calls for experience, wisdom, and sometimes even courage to make a major decision.

The hardest decision that I ever make was to visit America, joining the homestay program two years ago. I was stuck in a dilemma. My family was so deep in debts at that time that I felt reluctant even to bring up the matter with my parents. While my family's financial difficulties perplexed my, my enthusiasm for study encouraged me to go right ahead. At last I revealed my intention to my parents. They were more than ready to finance the trip, which cost them only a little less than NT$100,000. I was moved as well as regretful, wondering how I could ever pay them back. As I look back now, I feel it worthwhile; my interest in English was further spurred and could never be frustrated.

成長意味著必須做我自己的決定。當我年紀還小的時候,我把所有困難的決定都留給父母或兄姉,隨著時間的流逝,我逐漸體會他們不可能永遠幫助我;我必須學習完全獨立。後來我利用每個機會訓練自己的智慧和判斷力。我曾經成功,也曾經失敗,然而我現在總算明白,做重大的決定需要經驗、睿智,有時甚至是勇氣。

我所曾經做過最難的決定,就是兩年前參加旅美住宿家庭活動,陷入進退兩難的困境;當時家裡債台高築,那件事我連提都不願意向父母親提起。雖然家庭財務困境令我煩惱,追求學問的熱忱卻又鼓勵我勇往直前。我最後還是向父母表白了我的意願,而他們卻心甘情願要資助我成行,花費金額近十萬元。我既感動又懊悔,不知道如何才能回報。如今回顧往昔,覺得那個決定是值得;我對英語的興趣獲得更進一步的激勵,並且不會感到挫折。

U. An Outlook on My Future (展望我的未來)

I earnestly hope to lead a healthy and prosperous life in the future. Judging from my aptitude inclination and personality streaks, my ideal life will be that of a scientist, researching, lecturing, and writing books. As I am from a farming family, I particularly enjoy being close to earth. If I can afford to live a pastoral life in the countryside, I will feel most blessed. As far as social life is concerned, simplicity is what I intend to pursue, so I really don't need too many friends. All these will be mere talk if I am idle now. To attain my goal, I must make a point of training my body and mind. This is a highly competitive society in which everyone is eager to come out on top. That is not only a competition of physical strength and mental power, but a marathon of patience, faith, and perseverance. Life is not all roses, but with what I am being equipped with by the top teachers in this elite school, I surely deserve a promising prospect.

我懇切地希望將來能過著健康而順遂的一生。從我的能力傾向及人格特質來判斷,我理想的生活方式將是擔任一名科學家,從事研究講學以及著作。由於我來自農家,尤其喜歡親近土地。如果我有經濟能力在鄉下過著田園生活,我會深感福佑。至於社交生活,「單純」是我所要追求的,所以我確實不需要太多的朋友。如果我現在懶散,這一切都將流於空談;要達成目標,我必須重視鍛鍊自己的身心。這是一個高度競爭的社會,人人都渴望拔得頭籌。那不但是一場體力和腦力的競爭,也是耐心、信心和毅力的馬拉松。人生並不全是美好的事,但以我目前得自這所精英聚集的學校的頂尖老師所施的教化,我必定有個光明的前程。

V. My Secret Worry (我的隱憂)

While fear of death is universal, my worry about death is so overwhelming that there is not a moment passing without my thinking of it. I never bring this up with any other, just because no one will ever realize the seriousness of this problem. I know it very clearly that as long as there is life, there will be death. In addition, though I am still so far away from death, I have been plagued by the thought of it for years. Fortunately, the root of my fear of death lies in my overzealous love for life. I am too timid to think of the end of life, when every worldly affair should be thrown away. How can I carry on without friendship, affection, and joy of being alive? I really hate to leave all these behind. To ease my worry about death, I should make the fullest use of this life I now possess. Concentration on this life can at least temporally make me forget about death. As a matter of fact, I really don't need to worry so much about death, for I already have too much to worry about this life.
雖然怕死是舉世皆然,但我對死的擔心是如此不可抗拒,以致於沒有一刻不想到它;我從未對任何人提起,因為沒有人會了解這個問題的嚴重性。我知道得很清楚,只要有生,就會有死;另外,我雖然我離死還很遙遠,卻已經被死的念頭折磨多年。還好,我對死亡的恐懼根源於對生命的過分熱愛,我太膽小,不敢思考生命的終點----一切塵世的事務都要拋棄。沒有友情、愛情和生之喜悅,我怎麼過得下去?我真的很不甘心死後遺留下這一切。若要減輕對死亡的憂慮,我應該就目前所擁有的一生做最充分的運用,全神貫注於這一生至少使我暫時忘卻了死亡。其實,我實在不必這麼擔憂死亡,因為這一生該擔憂的已經夠多了。

W. Revenge(兵變)

John joined the army after graduating from college and the base where he served ( as a soldier ) was far away from his hometown, where his family and his girlfriend Mary lived. Though his military life there was both hard and boring, he lived in hopes, because he got Mary’s letter once a week.

But one day, much to his shock, he received a heartbreaking letter in which Mary wrote that she was sorry to tell him that she had had a new boyfriend. She even went so far as to ask him to have her fine picture sent back to her. For she wanted to give it to her new boyfriend.

The more John read the letter, the madder he got, so he made up his mind to get even with her. He asked his friends to find him as many pictures of beautiful women as possible and put all the pictures that he had collected into a box. Then he sent the box to Mary with a letter on it. In the letter, he told Mary to find out her own picture herself, because he had had so many girlfriends that he could not remember which picture was hers.

X. A Phone Call(一通電話)

I was tired with preparing for the Joint College Entrance Examination the other evening. And having been alone for several hours, I was eager to have someone to chat with me about anything but examinations. So I telephoned my best friend Mary, who was also busy preparing for the joint entrance examination.

On the telephone, I told her that I missed her very much. And I invited her to have a cup of coffee with me in a coffeehouse near her home. But to my surprise, she declined and said that she had to devote all her time to her studies. Hearing this, I could do nothing but hang up after saying “Sorry” to her. Disappointed and discouraged, I turned back to my desk and reluctantly buried myself again in my books.
感恩 感恩 感恩 感恩^^~

謝謝分享^^~
返回列表